Thursday, May 12, 2016

Grave

I am sitting on the wall that encloses Dad's grave. I had a little difficultly finding the grave, but it is still here. It is farther back in the cemetery than I remembered and has a fairly big tree right in front of it that I don't remember being there in 2001, which was the last time I was here.
I put four small roses on the gravestone and cut down the bush that had been allowed to grow right in front of the stone. The lettering is still cut into the gravestone but the black resin or whatever it was that used to make the writing stand out is almost completely gone. I am really glad I saw the gravestone the way it was in 1999 and 2001.
There are a lot of empty incense boxes in the cemetery and I brought in a full one in addition to the roses. I burned 15 sticks of incense and they are all burned out now. I am listening to what Laurie and I call a "for real" bird, but I think the folks here call it a whippoorwill. The call sounds like the bird is saying "for real, for real".
I'll try to get a photo or two posted soon.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this picture, John. As with all "ordinary" graves, I guess, time takes its toll, especially when there are no longer any caretakers. I'm glad I visited the grave with you and then again with Dan, and I'm thankful for the photos I have. Glad you had flowers and incense. Sending you love and wishes for many good times for the rest of your sojourn in India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That had to be very special. Thanks for sending the picture and I'm very glad you could be there and that you bought roses. I thought Ian was coming to see the grave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian had work obligations so I am on my own.

      Delete