Thursday, May 26, 2016

Delhi

I wrote the below yesterday but haven't been able to get it to upload from my phone. The hotel I am staying in has computers for guests, so I'll give it a shot on the computer. I can't get the photo to attach on the PC, either.
I arrived here yesterday evening. I am staying in a hotel called Bloomrooms very near the New Delhi railway station and a ten minute walk from Pahar Gunj, an area known for cheap lodging for backpackers. My room is small but well designed and has everything I need until I leave for home in a week.
This morning I walked to the Red Fort, which took about an hour. The man at the desk of the hotel wasn't able to help with directions because he said it was too far away to walk there. On the way to the fort I chanced on a huge mosque whose name I am too lazy to look up right now. The fort was interesting but the British destroyed a lot of the old buildings to build barracks. They did leave several of the Shah's buildings standing, though, including the one in the photo.
If I had my way I would fly home tomorrow, but I chose my flight months ago based on the flight being as direct to Atlanta as I could find. It is the inaugural flight for Qatar Airlines directly from Delhi to Atlanta, with, of course, a layover in Doha. I'll use my time in Delhi seeing sights and enjoying the variety of restaurants. I ate in one today, Haldirams, that said they have a branch in Atlanta!


3 comments:

  1. I'm sure, knowing you, you'll find some interesting places to see and great good to eat in the coming week! 😀 But I can see why you would be ready to get home! Love the name of your hotel!! Delhi is where I remember being the hottest I've ever been in my life!! Hope you've had a good day today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just looked up your hotel! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess I'll have to look up the hotel also--and the restaurant that has a branch in Atlanta. Hope the inaugural flight direct to Atlanta is a good one. And hope you're able to post some more photos before you leave Delhi.

    ReplyDelete