Sunday, October 15, 2017

Impressions of Hanoi

As I mentioned earlier, we really enjoyed our stay in Hanoi. Our hotel was near Hoan Kiem Lake and a short walk from the old quarter. Those two areas have a lot of tourist infrastructure but also lots of ordinary Vietnamese shops and restaurants. Traffic is heavy and people pretty much drive where they please. Pedestrians are, as usual, at the bottom of the pecking order. Drivers will try to avoid you when you are crossing the street if you walk slowly and steadily. I honestly think the best way to cross a street would be to close your eyes and just walk, but I didn't try it. A motorcycle grazed my leg when we were walking in the rain, but the rider apologized and I wasn't hurt. Sidewalks are usually blocked with parked motorcycles, food stalls and who knows what else, so people walk on the edge of the street.

We went to a market (of course) but didn't buy anything. We visited old temples (of course) and I realized how ignorant I am about Vietnamese religion. The temples were really pretty, though. Some of the main offerings were Coca Cola, beer and chocolate snack cakes. I am taking a lot of photos and having a little of fun doing that.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're enjoying your time in Vietnam. Looking forward to the blog entries from Laos. Lots of love from Dan and me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds a little chaotic - not a peaceful place to relax - but interesting for sure!

    ReplyDelete