Thursday, April 28, 2016

Angkor

I was last here in 2001 and, let me tell you, things have changed. There are many more hotels in Siem Reap and many more tourists crowding into the sites. I think that most tourists stay in big hotels and are on tours. The largest nationality by far are the Chinese, who all seem to be on a tour of some sort.
The nice thing about tours is that they are on a schedule, so if they are blocking that perfect shot, they soon move on. I visited The Bayon, Ta Prom, and went to Angkor Wat at midday, which made sure that there were not many people there. I like hot weather but most tourists don't. I am writing this at 7:30 p.m. and it is close to 100 degrees.
I plan to go to Banteay Srei tomorrow. MC and Laurie (and Betsy?) will remember it as the jewel of a temple that it is. It is really small but elaborately carved. Maybe I can get there before the tour groups.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely remember the "jewel" of a temple, and pictures from there continue to pop up on my screen saver now and then. Did you taste the ice cream in the photo? You're welcome to the heat, and I'm glad you're able to get some good photos without the crowds interfering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you can be flexible! And I'm glad you are seeing so many fascinating things - I'm sure seeing them a second time is just as wonderful! It's definitely not hot here! In fact, it's unseasonally chilly!!

    ReplyDelete