Saturday, July 30, 2016

Humayun's tomb

I haven't been able to get a post to publish lately but I see the photo of the giant image of Hanuman went OK so I will give it a shot. I put a picture on Google plus of part of the Red Fort in case you didn't see it.

Delhi is still hot and will be that way until I leave. I have a cold and took it easy yesterday, but today I went back at it. This morning I walked a couple of miles or so to the temple with the huge  figure of Hanuman. It is a popular place with a lot of activity. People stopped on the street to pay their respects to the temple or the statue - I couldn't tell which.

I then braved the subway system and changed trains twice to visit Humayun's tomb, a World Heritage Site. The thought is that the design of the Taj Mahal was strongly influenced by Humayun's tomb. I enjoyed visiting it but the Taj Mahal it ain't.

I rode the subway again with a lot of other people and went to Chandni Chowk, a market street near the Red Fort. I was looking for a shawl I saw there the other day but it turned out to be a part of a three piece set so the vendor wanted to charge me for the whole set. I didn't buy a shawl but I did get some terrific jalebis and a very good lassi. Naturally I thought of MC when I was eating the jalebis.

When I got back to my neighborhood the street in front of the New Delhi train station had one of the better traffic jams going on. It was really bothering a lot of drivers that they couldn't blow their horns and plow on through. They were stopped dead but they blew their horns anyway. I was almost hit by a moto (tuk tuk) while I was crossing a street. I guess the driver was so glad to break out of the jam he wasn't going to swerve for anyone.

Speaking of jams, it is a real experience buying beer in India. It is sold out of small shops that treat customers as if they are scum. I was on my way back to the hotel the other night and decided to get a beer to take with me. I looked in the beer store on my street and it was a zoo inside. I went in anyway (being quite a bit bigger than most people here really helps sometimes) and the bouncer pretty much asked me what the heck I wanted. I told him and he relaxed a little. Meanwhile, another customer complained about, I think, the fact that I was going to be served right away. The bouncer immediately threw him out of the store. The clerks in the store are the least helpful people I have seen in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment